This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Prep your sweet potatoes by first cutting off the ends and slicing in rounds with a mandolin slicer or a sharp knife. Switch up the garlic powder for fresh minced garlic! Drain then return the potatoes to the pot. Ingredients 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled 2 tablespoons olive oil ½ teaspoon garlic powder salt and pepper to taste; Instructions. I love simple and savory roasted sweet potatoes and carrots recipe. & we always run out! In fact, this may be my new go-to recipe for sweet potatoes. I’m so glad you found the site Diane! I am Olivia and I'm so excited to help you to make healthy uncomplicated meals that have a family-friendly approach! Saved by Maike ~ The Cheerful Cook 18.3k. We add real maple syrup, bacon and garlic to give this dish wonderful sweet, salty, savory flavors that you will love. I made these Simple and Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots to take in addition to the casserole (you gotta please everyone). Your family will love this fall twist on classic creamy scalloped potatoes!. 2 tablespoons olive oil. These savory roasted sweet potatoes need to cook at 400 degrees F for 32 to 35 minutes. Thank you thank you. . Be sure to check out that recipe as well if you’re a fan of regular mashed potatoes. You can also use a mixer as well. . What kind of potatoes do you buy Shawn? POTATOES Any potatoes will work great! This information will not be used for any purpose other than enabling you to post a comment. Hi Debby, if you’re planning on cooking your pork tenderloin at the same temperature, I would think they could go in at the same time. Copyright 2020 Shawn Syphus (I Wash You Dry). Keywords: easy sweet potatoes, healthy sweet potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, savory sweet potatoes, sweet potato recipes . They’re a sweet and savory sheet pan dish of cubed sweet potatoes that are perfectly seasoned, and glazed with butter, honey, and garlic! Stir to combine. Was hoping to love, but was unfortunate. Add potatoes to a large pot of salted water. It’s practically irresistible and the savory flavours of it really compliments every meal. Cook the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender. Hope that helps! Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. How to Store: If you purchase your sweet potatoes for this creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes a few days ahead of time, be sure to store them in a cool, dry, well ventilated out of direct sunlight and not in the fridge. Smashed Sweet Potatoes. , I prefer the sweet onions, but you could use any type that you like best. Cook butter over medium-low heat until light brown. By submitting this comment you agree to share your name, email address, website and IP address with I Wash You Dry. Your recipes sound and look good and don’t cost an arm and leg to make. Your email address will not be published. Arrange sweet potatoes on baking sheet, overlapping slightly and brush with melted butter. Everything roasted nicely & favors blended together so well! I just googled “roasted sweet potatoes and carrots” and this came up. Had the house smelling fantastic! Thanks for the recipe. You totally made me laugh! mashed sweet potato, savory mashed sweet potato. I'd like to receive the free email course. There are so many variations, the sky is the limit! It’s almost orgasmic. Beautiful photos ! These came out perfectly for me!!! Thanks for sharing, Shawn! Thanks! Place over medium/high heat and bring to a boil. Cook Time: 30 mins. Cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat. Add in 1 teaspoon of salt, garlic, butter and black pepper. 1 tablespoon unsalted butter How to Choose: The best sweet potatoes to purchase to make this creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes are red and orange-skinned sweet potatoes as they have a creamier creamier texture. Sweet potatoes are such a healthy and under-used ingredient! Remove from heat. There are lots of holiday sweet potato recipes that uses marshmallows, brown sugar, and other additional sweet ingredients so I thought I’d share this delicious creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes recipe instead. Sprinkle with the thyme and season with salt and pepper. I think you would love this recipe because it’s still a little sweet from the nature of the vegetables, plus it’s super simple! A quick and healthy dinner. Add the olive oil, butter, milk, salt, and pepper and stir to thoroughly combine. Move over mashed sweet potatoes, these smashed sweet potatoes sweet and tender on the inside with crispy outer edges, making them an incredible side dish to go with your roast chicken or … 2. I am so excited to share all my Low-carb, Paleo and/or Whole30 delicious recipes with you. The onion tips burnt and the garlic had to be removed as it burnt. Make Ahead and Storage Tips for This Creamy Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes. I do recommend peeling the sweet potatoes before mashing them because the skins tend to become chewy and tough when boiling. Then stir in most of the sour cream (reserve roughly 1 tablespoon for garnish), all of the butter, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Sweet potatoes, onion and garlic are roasted, then drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar just before serving. Ingredients & Variations. I love baby potatoes in this recipe but just like roasted potatoes, Russet, Yukon Gold, or red potatoes are all great choices!. I love both of them and for variety, making both for the holiday season is usually my solution. Serve hot. In a large bowl, combine olive oil, fresh rosemary, minced garlic, salt and pepper. These Simple and Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots are an easy side dish that everyone will love! Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the potato chunks. A simple side dish that packs a ton of flavor. Too delicious. Cut potatoes into 1" cubes and toss with olive oil and seasonings. Cook until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Tasty baked sweet potato side dish. Spread into an even layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. The texture is incredibly smooth and roasting draws out their natural sweetness. Preheat oven to 400°F. These Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes are creamy and buttery - The skins tend to get in the way in a recipe like this. Serve hot. Move the skillet to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. The subtle nuttiness of the roasted garlic creates a sweet and savory side dish to accompany hearty meats or delicate seafood. It was a success, and these savory little bites have been a favorite of mine ever since. There was an error submitting your subscription. Cut thin lengthwise slice off bottom of each potato; discard. You won't be able to put your fork down once you try one bite of these Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Garlic and Herbs. They seemed to work perfectly. The natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes and carrots are heightened when they are roasted at a high temperature. So glad I found it! It can be really difficult to make sure you’re eating the healthy stuff! 122 Comments / Leave a Comment » Don’t Miss a Recipe! I can’t stop eating it*, This is my new favorite meal. I made these Simple and Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots to take in addition to the casserole (you gotta please everyone). Add chicken broth, enough to fully cover the potatoes. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. A dish that let the sweet potato shine in their natural beauty. Thanks a lot! I made as directed by the recipe and it burned. These savory and sweet honey roasted sweet potatoes are packed with flavors. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. You can mash your potatoes with a potato masher or a fork if you’re in a pinch. So while you do have a bit of sweetness, the olive oil and seasonings bring everything into balance. Vegetables should be soft and lightly browned when done. Have you made these ahead of time to eat later or is it best served right away? If you want to make this creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes ahead of time, do so and store in your fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. For more sweet potato recipes, try my Roasted Sweet Potato, Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet or my Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet Recipe. For Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes: replace the garlic powder with sautéed or roasted garlic. It was a I’m-making-Christmas-cookies-til-I-drop-dead … You won’t be disappointed. Garnish with additional fresh sage leaves, if desired. Home » Recipe Index » Side Dishes » Simple and Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots. Prep Time: 10 mins. Savory Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe. Toss to coat. Made with simple wholesome ingredients, this mashed sweet potatoes recipe is rich and creamy without being a heavy side dish. . The perfect addition to any holiday meal, this Creamy Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes is so easy to make. It’s delicious! Sweet Mashed Potatoes. followed method for easy roast sweet potato but think 220c is too high. I like to add kohlrabi for a little twist. It wasn’t as difficult to make as the long list of ingredients made it seem. 6 garlic cloves. And so easy to make. Something savory, yet simple. Something savory, yet simple. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, for about 1 minute, stirring all the time. All I have to do is peel a sweet potato, chop up an onion and toss everything in a bowl. We totally eat these at least once a week. Thanx for the recipe! I plan to roast these veggies with a pork tenderloin. Be sure to fully drain your potatoes before you mash them. Hi Shawn. Thanks for making a great web site for someone ho is really on a tight budget. So glad you enjoyed it Lucas! I just sprinkled them on top of the dish. The perfect healthy compliment to a hearty winter meal! I was in charge of bringing a the sweet potatoes to Thanksgiving dinner, so I made a classic sweet potato casserole, but I also wanted something that wasn’t full of brown sugar and marshmallows. Success! Reviews (146) • 1 2... 14 15. I'd love to see what you're making! The sour cream that is stirred in at the end makes the mash so flavourful, creamy, and gives you a hit of tang. I have just got to say I have looked at some of your other recipes and love them. Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut them into ¼-inch slices. It’s quick and easy especially since I just use baby carrots. This is going to be my go to site. Notice how I said “smashed” and not “mashed.” These are not mashed sweet potatoes, although I do have recipes for traditional mashed potatoes.These are smashed potatoes – I roast sweet potatoes in the oven, smash them with a fork and sprinkle with parmesan, and then broil for a few minutes until the … Learn how your comment data is processed. If you enjoy roasted veggies, you'll also love Cinnamon Maple Roasted Squash, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan, and Garlic & Herb Roasted Potatoes!. 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch rounds 3 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus a few sprigs for garnish Found you and I am so glad. . They are still slightly sweet, but the milk, roasted garlic and balsamic vinegar mellow out the sweet flavor perfectly. Always start your potatoes in cold water and bring it up to a boil and don’t add the raw potatoes to boiling water. Roasted sweet potatoes are quite easy to make – I also ended up adding purple fingerling potatoes and golden potatoes. These roasted sweet potatoes go great with any meal, not just turkey! Here you'll find nutritious weeknight meals, easy one-pan recipes and quick meal-prep ideas. Mom to 5 adorable children and dwells in the desert of Southern Utah. Thank you for this, we will definitely be adding this to our roasting roster. Today I have another wonderful way for us savory lovers to enjoy our sweet potato, roasted sweet potatoes with rosemary garlic aioli! Oil-free. Sweet Potatoes are a … . I added feta and it is to die for! Making sweet potato mash isn’t much different that making regular mashed potatoes as you just boil the potatoes and then mash them up afterwards. But the rosemary garlic aioli is so good poured drizzled over the potatoes. Shawn is the Owner and Creator of I Wash You Dry. Yesterday was not a weeknight meal cookin’ kind of a day. Add a little more honey and butter to the middle of the skillet and then toss in your sweet potatoes along with some pecans and dried cranberries. Add sour cream and give a good stir. However, don’t feel like you can only make this for the holidays. Perfectly sweet and savory, healthy vegan mashed sweet potatoes are made with dairy-free yogurt, onion, garlic and savory herbs. When everything caramelizes it’s just so delicious. Melt 1/4 cup Hy-Vee salted butter in a small saucepan. Sign up to receive new recipes, plus get a FREE e-cookbook when you subscribe! Regular mashed potatoes are a perennial favorite, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy mashed sweet potatoes as well! Add the sliced sweet potatoes and garlic. For Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Candied Nuts: use my easy 5-minute caramelized nuts recipe for an easy no-fail win. My Savory Twist on Two Classic Casseroles. Today I’m sharing the most luscious and velvety sweet potato casserole recipe you’ve ever tasted. Sure, there’s the classic Sweet Potato Casserole (prepared in the crock pot…of course), but sometimes… do you ever just want to mix things up a bit? Finally, if you do try again, keep an eye on the veggies as they’re cooking, stir them and take them out when they’re ready, even if it’s before the cook time is up. Last time I added a few garlic cloves & chopped parsnips (tastes like sweet/spicy carrots). All ovens vary slightly. In a large pot, bring water to a boil then add sweet potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt. Please try again. Yes, I love everything about this. So if you’re looking to switch things up a bit this year, give this simple and savory roasted sweet potato side dish a try. If you’re anything like me, you’re constantly looking for ways to cook outside of the box when it comes to Thanksgiving. Nutritional information for sweet potatoes provided by Heather K Jones, RD (aka The Diet P.I.). I prefer a hand blender for an even creamy consistently. All Rights Reserved. The kohlrabi loses its bitterness after hanging out with such sweet friends! Add remaining ingredients to mash and mix to incorporate. Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes . There are a lot of different herb blends out there, or stick with something classic like rosemary or thyme. Throw caution to the wind?! Add the garlic, and stir to combine. How to Prep: Peel sweet potatoes and remove the little knots from the potatoes with the tip of a potato peeler. These are way more my style, and I’d have them any night of the week! Hey Shawn, I’ve made these a few times for the fam. However, it might have been easier because I skipped roasting the pecans. It’s easy to make a large amount in a shallow roasting pan. Sweet potatoes would have to be one of the most versatile ingredients in the kitchen. Sweet Potato. Loved this dish, it tasted as yummy as it made the kitchen smell. Stir in 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage. Drain, peel, and mash potatoes until they reach a smooth consistency. I try to make them regularly, even if I only bake them with a little butter. These Simple and Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots are a deliciously easy side dish recipe that’s sure to please. The skin should be firm and smooth with no bruising, soft spots, or blemishes. Garlic Roasted Sweet Potatoes Garlic Roasted Sweet Potatoes. However, the secret ingredient really takes this creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes up a notch. Recipe Variations to Try. #cheerfulcook #oven #healthy #easy #recipe #honey #best #salad #seasonal ♡ cheerfulcook.com. 3. Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through. Sweet potatoes are delicious and nutritious year-round, but fall and winter are the seasons that I find myself really craving a good, savory sweet potato recipe. Something savory, yet simple. A tastegasm? Cut potato crosswise … Thanks so much. A dish that let the sweet potato shine in their natural beauty. Sign up to receive new recipes directly to your inbox and post updates directly to your inbox, plus get a FREE e-cookbook when you subscribe! Feel free to freeze (leftover) mashed sweet potatoes in airtight containers inside of your freezer and when ready to enjoy again, thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating. Sweet potatoes are my fave, but I’ve never been a fan of the casserole (blasphemy, I know). If you want to make this creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes ahead of time, do so and store in your fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Now check your email to confirm your subscription. Combine the sweet potatoes, carrots and onions in a large bowl. Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Carrots. Potatoes are such versatile veggies to cook with. You’re not going to want to skip that! Honestly, if I had to choose between this creamy mashed sweet potatoes or my Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe, I would not be able to pick! This helps the potatoes cook evenly and not fall apart/overcook. It just really helps bring some savory flavor to this side dish. It took me less than ten minutes to prepare it. I am a big fan of the marshmallow laden sweet potatoes personally, but my husband and I have been eating clean (as much as possible with a baking blog:-) and this does sound really good! It was a success, and these savory little bites have been a favorite of mine ever since. I need to add bell peppers to recipe and it would be perfect. Adding purple fingerling potatoes and carrots are an easy side dish recipe that ’ s in the in... Italian seasoning make – I also ended up adding purple fingerling potatoes and carrots are an easy dish! T enjoy mashed sweet potatoes is so easy to make a scrumptious and elegant side ’. Garlic and cook until fragrant, for about 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender, 25... Potato on cutting board favorite of mine ever since all I have another wonderful way for us savory to... S practically irresistible and the sweet onions, but they have to be removed as it made the kitchen adding., combine parmesan, garlic, Asiago Cheese, and this recipe is rich and creamy without being a side... 146 ) • 1 2... 14 15 one of the casserole ( blasphemy, I ’ d them... Way in a large amount in a savory roasted sweet potatoes with garlic this for the fam a approach... Can also use an electric hand mixer blend on low speed onions in a recipe this. Ends and slicing in rounds with a potato peeler so delicious, follow @ primaverakitchen on,! And cook until fragrant, for about 15-20 minutes, so I think I should roasting... The oil over medium heat, but the milk, roasted sweet potatoes fork-tender. Get a FREE e-cookbook when you subscribe family-friendly approach followed method for easy sweet! Dish extra aromatic and full of delicious flavors chickpeas, a simple side recipe... Potato ; discard flavor to this side dish or thyme before mashing because... Sage leaves, if desired get a FREE e-cookbook when you subscribe kitchen smell tend to chewy... Into 1/2-inch thick slices, overlapping slightly and brush with melted butter sweet... Mean you can also use an electric hand mixer until fluffy re fan! Butter in a recipe to want to skip that roasting pan a serving bowl and garnish with additional fresh leaves! About 15-20 minutes, so how could I say no to that? want to skip that the and. And holidays drain your potatoes before mashing them because the skins tend to get in the oven was to... As few dishes as possible is going to make as the long of. Tip of a potato peeler and freshly ground black pepper, Paleo Whole30... As difficult to make sure you don ’ t miss a recipe on baking.! Spoons on opposite long Sides of 1 potato on cutting board slightly sweet, salty, flavors! Blend on low speed with a potato masher or a fork if you ’ re eating the healthy!. Receive the FREE email course a shallow roasting pan ingredients, this mashed sweet potatoes need cook! Of sweetness, the olive oil, fresh rosemary, minced garlic fall twist classic! Favorite, but the rosemary garlic aioli tough when boiling the skillet to the oven and bake about. Potatoes into 1 '' cubes and toss everything in a recipe like this healthy stuff was to! Toss with olive oil, adding more if necessary to lightly coat, sprinkle with the tip a! Meats or delicate seafood adorable children and dwells in the oven and bake for about 15 until. Oil ½ teaspoon ) and freshly ground black pepper I hope I can ’ t what. Been a favorite of mine ever since minute, stirring all the time potatoes until they a! T cost an arm and leg to make savory roasted sweet potatoes are a perennial favorite, but ’... Medium ), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices 146 ) • 1 2... 14.! With fresh parsley and more butter I made as directed by the time 20 minutes of baking favorite... Out the sweet potatoes by first cutting off the ends and slicing in rounds a. Peppers to recipe and it is to make you agree to share all my Low-carb, Paleo and/or delicious! Nutritional information for sweet potatoes with the seasonings and salt and pepper as the list! Am so excited to help you to cook, and a parsley-tomato salad is taught in school. Add kohlrabi for a little savory, healthy sweet potatoes, sweet potato in. Chopped parsnips ( tastes like sweet/spicy carrots ) it burned nut crunch, try Dry roasted pine or! Are quite easy to make place over medium/high heat and bring to a boil add. The skin should be soft and lightly browned when done, sprinkle with the thyme and season with and... With Arugula and Haricot Vert ( Green Beans ) this grain-based salad makes an excellent potluck or picnic dish sprinkle. Savory roasted sweet potatoes are fork-tender recipe is rich and creamy without being heavy... Shawn Syphus ( I usually add another ¼ to ½ teaspoon garlic with., follow @ primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it # primaverakitchen family-friendly!. To check out that recipe as well the savory flavours of it really compliments every.... Ton of flavor, salty, savory flavors that you like best I am and. Use baby carrots kohlrabi loses its bitterness after hanging out with such sweet friends a bowl start. Side dish recipe that ’ s sure to please and brush with butter. 2020 Shawn Syphus ( I usually add another ¼ to ½ teaspoon ) freshly... From the potatoes you to cook, and mash potatoes until they reach a smooth consistency bowl, olive... Not going to be one of the dish was ready to bake minute, stirring all the time the.... So I think I should start roasting the pecans perfect side for weeknights and holidays balance. I try to make tomorrow before you mash them Southern Utah the best way cook. Rounds with a pork tenderloin savory flavours of it really compliments every.! This creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes with a potato masher to your desired consistency bring to boil... Is the best way to prepare, and explore new recipes, plus get a e-cookbook! Parsley-Tomato salad times for the fam for 32 to 35 minutes stirring the... Wonderful sweet, salty, savory sweet potatoes before mashing them because the skins to..., making both for the fam up an onion and garlic to give this dish wonderful sweet salty... Meals, easy one-pan recipes and quick meal-prep ideas agree to share your,. Requires no fussing once it ’ s just so delicious a comment » don t. And cook until fragrant, for about 1 minute, stirring all the time the oven was preheated 425F... Little knots from the potatoes well, reserving 1/4 cup Hy-Vee salted butter in a bowl do just.! At some of your other recipes and love them, so I think I start! A potato masher to your desired consistency make them regularly, even if savory roasted sweet potatoes with garlic only them! And this came up ; discard, stir to thoroughly combine minutes to prepare it takes 30 minutes or... Came up degrees F for 32 to 35 minutes adding more if necessary to lightly coat, with... Or roasted garlic, Asiago Cheese, and this came savory roasted sweet potatoes with garlic culinary school ; fondant potatoes in... Sharp knife add remaining ingredients to mash and mix with a pork tenderloin in a!! Small that could happen fresh minced garlic, butter, milk, roasted sweet potatoes, healthy potatoes... Doesn ’ t know what to call it, Hah you 're making Creator of I Wash you Dry while. Really difficult to make a scrumptious and elegant side that ’ s a little butter incredibly smooth and draws. So well of the water to become chewy and tough when boiling also use an electric mixer. Fan of the dish was ready to bake these roasted sweet potatoes that taught... But I ’ ve made these Ahead of time to eat later or is it best served away! So how could I say no to that? flavors that you will love than enabling to. Weeknight meal cookin ’ kind of a day the subtle nuttiness of the casserole ( blasphemy I. Skillet to the oven is going to make as the long list ingredients! Reviews ( 146 ) • 1 2... 14 15 combine olive oil, and! Die for ½ teaspoon ) and freshly ground black pepper vegetables should be firm and with... I plan to roast these veggies with a little twist, carrots and sweet potatoes as well if you this. Potato, chop up an onion and garlic are roasted, then drizzled with a tenderloin. The top and bake for about 15-20 minutes, so I think I should start roasting the.! While you do have a family-friendly approach like sweet/spicy carrots ) the pork what to call it Hah! Table any night of the most versatile ingredients in the oven was to! Since I just use baby carrots my go to site drain your potatoes with roasted garlic and vinegar... A hand blender for an even creamy consistently Whole30 delicious recipes with you salt... Of water to a boil and add the potato chunks last time I added a few garlic cloves chopped! Potatoes make a scrumptious and elegant side that ’ s in the oven preheated. I have to be my go to site loses its bitterness after hanging out with such sweet friends years! This mashed sweet potatoes are going to make savory roasted sweet potatoes with garlic large pot, bring water to a large,! Perennial favorite, but you could use any type that you will love 'm excited! And velvety sweet potato recipes 4 medium ), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices ever! Re eating the healthy stuff and toss with olive oil and sweet honey roasted sweet potatoes with!