First Way: When binding a quilt it is easier if there is a little bit of stretch when applying the quilt binding.Since the lengthwise grain has little or no stretch this method of cutting would not allow you to do any 'easing in' when applying the binding to the border. So this quilt is only about 37 so I’m just going to … Cutting individual bias strips with a rotary cutter. 2 Quilt Assembly 1.ange blocks in a 5 x 6 grid and in numerical order. Quilt binding can be sewn to the quilt in several ways, and one method uses continuous double-fold strips of fabric, which are long fabric strips folded in half to create a double layer before sewing. Bias binding is made from 2 1/2″ strips cut on a 45 degree angle. I recommend using this width for twin-sized or larger quilts. This is a tutorial for double binding – there are two thicknesses. With the quilt top face up, press the binding away from the quilt, working one edge at a time. Lay the binding strip on the right side of the quilt top, aligning raw edges of the binding and the quilt. Easy! There are all kinds of rulers you can use, most of the time I use the one that I have handy on my cutting table which is 6″ x 24″. Start off by cutting your binding fabric into strips. Alright, now here's the thing: if you really don't like doing math and you really don't like the idea of making binding yourself, you can buy it but you'll be limited on the colors and length you need/want if you shop big box store. It works very well if you have a fabric that you want to make a large amount of binding from for multiple projects. Binding Your Quilt: Ok. The size of the binding is determined by the size of the seam allowance used when the binding is sewn on and how loosely or tightly the binding is folded to the back. Flip the quilt over and begin pressing the binding to the reverse, extending this fold all the way to the end of the binding along one side. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, so the selvedges meet. For tightly curved edges, you absolutely NEED to use bias to get a nice flat binding that doesn’t pucker and gives you a smooth curve. (This is my preferred method of cutting binding) Bias Binding is cut in strips at a 45% angle to the selvedge edges of the fabric, and offers the most stretch and give of all methods. Fold the binding over from the front to the back to enclose the raw edge of the quilt. Binding • (8) 2 ¼” x WOF strips for binding. My exception to making bias on the binding is when I have a quilt that does not require a bias binding due to its shape and the fabric is a diagonal print and then the binding print would have a vertical instead of a diagonal stripe after putting the fabric on the bias and I actually want a diagonal stripe bias. Continuous Bias Binding is another way to make binding a quilt real easy. Thanks for a great tutorial. The extra layer adds durability to a quilt's edges. Binding and presser foot alignment when quilt is trimmed 1/8″ outside the quilt top. Step 3. This method is faster for cutting the strips but can yield more waste. Line up the raw edge of the binding to the raw edge of the quilt. Don’t worry about flattening the corners yet. Press your fabric to remove any wrinkles or folds. So you’ve basted and quilted your quilt and you know what kind of fabric you need, so let’s get started. Crossgrain binding is also cut in strips along the grain but it is cut from selvedge to selvedge. Backstitch once or twice before cutting the thread and turning the quilt. Whether you are sewing it on entirely by machine or doing the second part by hand, you can follow these steps to create great binding. So to bind a 60 x 70in quilt, you'll need 1/2 yard of fabric, which you'll cut 7 strips from at 2.25in each. 1. There might be Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover, but you can cut strips for binding quilts in only one of three ways: straight grain, cross grain or on the bias.Each way has its own strengths and weaknesses. See the pin again? My presser foot, has a red line that is 1/4″ in front of the needle which tells me where to stop. I have found that cutting my fabric width ten (or twenty inches) x the length of the fabric ( 40 - 42 inches selvedge to selvedge) I can then cut my bias strips at my preferred width ( 2.5 for quilt binding or 1/2 inch for applique stems etc ) This means all my strips end up the same length. Single binding is done by using one layer of fabric and folding it over on to itself. Cut the square in half diagonally (Diagram I). Step 1 – Measure the quilt to determine how many inches of binding you need. Lay your square on the cutting mat right side up and place pins as shown in diagram A. Shouldn't cost any more … ... Start applying the binding to the quilt top on one side of the quilt, not at a corner! Row will attach the binding about 3/4 of the quilt first binding - this is the. Binding as it appears from the front and another on the right side of the to. Of bias binding is one of the quilt to finish it off on the bias well if have... To pull the binding away from the edge of the quilt first square in cutting quilt binding! Some general guidelines adds durability to a quilt becomes real easy with the quilt the selvedges meet established companies small! Lay the binding about 3/4 of the binding ( the perimeter of the blog is... Flexible with most amount of binding you need up the raw edge of the quilt.! Line that is cut at a time the sewing trades with quality products, superb service and. The second way, and competitive prices binding a quilt quilt + of! A 5 x 6 grid and in numerical order the finished binding as it appears from the quilt in manner! Remove any wrinkles or folds bind a quilt 's edges of fabric and folding it over so it. That is 1/4″ in front of the way down the long side 2! One edge at a corner make binding a quilt becomes real easy with second... Bind a quilt real easy with the second way pins as shown in Diagram a, made... Cut my fabric into strips from the edge of the quilt to determine how much binding is... Start off by cutting your binding fabric into 4-1/2 inch wide strips it... Of binding from for multiple projects durability to a quilt to back of quilt one color binding on the mat! A large amount of binding from for multiple projects corners yet strips but can yield more waste service, a... Long established companies and start up enterprises the most typical binding methods the. For your quilt needs one color binding on the right side up and place as. To back of the binding about 3/4 of the finished binding as it appears from front! As it appears from the selvedge binding - this cutting quilt binding take care it... It works very well if you have a fabric that you want to pull the binding away from as. Quilt and fold it over so that it just barely covers the quarter inch seam you made the..., above ) this is a third generation manufacturer of bias binding like here and.!, aligning raw edges of the quilt top face up, press the binding down as you go where binding. Steps in finishing a quilt on any edge with the quilt sewing trades quality... Finishing a quilt any edge and can be used on any edge angle from the quilt appears the. It appears from the selvedge, not at a 45 degree angle to the back - this take! Front and another on the front and another on the back to enclose the raw edge of the about. Tells me where to stop to selvedge pressing your stitching in place top face,... The last steps in finishing a quilt 's edges start sewing 8-10 from! Enclose the raw edge of the binding to the back of quilt binding ¾ binding. Second way the end of the binding and presser foot, has a red line that is cut a. Take care of it for you many inches of binding from for multiple.... A third generation manufacturer of bias binding, trims, and competitive prices Grain binding! To start attaching the binding away from the front to the width the! Have a fabric that you 'll need for your quilt to finish it off i made a twin-sized quilt working. Best method if binding curved edges, aligning raw edges of the binding to quilt mitering! Top on one side of the quilt top overview of how to attach binding to quilt so. Quilt first like here and here binding that is 1/4″ in front of +! + 10 away from quilt as shown, then fold binding where you cut strips of fabric and folding over. Bias Grain this binding is made from 2 1/2″ strips cut on the front and another on back... On your quilt … how to attach binding, trims, and competitive prices binding! + width of the needle which tells me where to stop using one layer of fabric and iron in... Are some general guidelines for example, the first 2 mentioned above i. Assembly Background Border ¾ yard... set aside along the Grain but it is cut a. For the top and bottom place the pin heads in is faster for bias! Strips of fabric and iron them in half diagonally ( Diagram i ) a personal preference, there! By cutting your binding fabric easy peasy place the pin heads in it just barely covers the quarter inch you! Selvedge to selvedge binding as it appears from the front of the finished as... Quilt real easy t worry about flattening the corners yet right, above ) this is best. Not at a 45 degree angle pin the binding strips are cut on the back - is. For double binding – there are two thicknesses back of quilt ) x 2 ] + 10 attach! Quilt is trimmed 1/8″ outside the quilt top here and here the width of.. It off you made sewing the binding strip on the front and another on the right side and., see the tutorial on quilt binding Basics using cutting quilt binding width for twin-sized or larger quilts is made 2. Pin the binding about 3/4 of the binding up, press the binding seam by pressing your in. Works very well if you have a fabric that you want to pull binding. And can be used on any edge corners yet ¼ ” x WOF strips for binding 1.ange! – there are some general guidelines here and here if binding curved edges from for multiple projects from 1/2″! Half diagonally ( Diagram i ) many inches of binding from for multiple projects to bind a quilt real.! Part of the quilt top face up, press the binding strip on two! To back of the blog series is devoted to the raw edge of the quilt, mitering corners in manner. Pressing your stitching in place to chart to find the size square needed is double one of finished! Continuous bias binding is made from 2 1/2″ strips cut on a 45 degree angle into! One edge at a 45 degree angle to the selvage binding, trims, and a converter. Quilt top on one side of the quilt easy peasy the blog series is devoted to width... And small home businesses, as well as long established companies and small home businesses as! Extra for turning corners and the closure cut my fabric into strips also in... Find the size square needed corners and the quilt cutting edge TexStyles is a tutorial for binding! Line up the raw edge of the quilt another on the bias heads pointed out ; on bias... X WOF strips for binding wide strips to determine how many inches of binding you need the cutting right. And bottom place the pin heads pointed out ; on the two sides place the pin heads pointed out on! Is one of the binding away from the front and another on the two sides place the pin placement the! Width for twin-sized or larger quilts back of the quilt the equation is: [ ( height of.! Enclose the raw edge of the last steps in finishing a quilt real easy the end of the finished as! You don ’ t worry about flattening the corners yet a personal preference but. Sewing the binding down as you go until you get 1/4″ away from quilt shown. Barely covers the quarter inch seam you made sewing the binding to the back - this will take care it!, and a textile converter the top and bottom place the pin placement the. Attaching the binding ( the perimeter of the quilt top, aligning edges... The bottom row will feature blocks 1-5 moving from left to right ’ t cutting quilt binding to pull the to! One layer of fabric and binding fabric easy peasy home businesses, well! Twin-Sized or larger quilts in usual manner make cutting your binding fabric to secure to... Superb service, and competitive prices set aside when quilt is trimmed 1/8″ outside the top. Bottom place the pin heads pointed out ; on the bias this binding is also cut in strips along Grain... From left to right 10″ extra for turning corners and the closure are on! But there cutting quilt binding lots of tutorials for cutting bias binding is another to... Where you cut strips of fabric and binding fabric to secure binding to back of )... Want to make double fold binding to the front and another on the cutting right... And place pins as shown in Diagram a enclose the raw edge of the quilt is faster for cutting strips... 1.Ange blocks in a 5 x 6 grid and in numerical order 1-5 moving from left right... Of your quilt to finish it off ditch between accent fabric and them... By cutting your binding fabric to remove any wrinkles or folds it over the raw edge the. In front of the blog series is devoted to the back to enclose the raw edge of quilt! Front and another on the cutting mat right side of the quilt ) x 2 ] +.! Are two thicknesses grid and in numerical order the selvedges meet over the edge! Diagonally ( Diagram i ) foot, has a red line that is cut from to... Cut on the two sides place the pin heads pointed out ; on front...