You have no idea how into this recipe I am. I bet everyone loves them and I sure would like to try them. So, if you love plantains but want to try a healthier alternative to frying ripe plantains, or just want to try a new twist on them you should give these a try. He has a little cold today so I told him I-and by I, I of course mean you :), was making my(your) famous chicken and rice soup for him and these plantains. Will I stand out there? I recently tried stuffed plantains in New York, and was blown away, really great stuff. What a great brunch dish! i need to get my hands on some plantains soon so i can try these. These are traditionally from the south of Colombia and Ecuador. Que Rico amiga y gracias por la receta y los recuerdos!!! I don’t know if this recipe really lowers the fat content because although you bake rather than fry, you then add cheese and the sauce. So you can have the credit-I’ll take the kisses :), THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PICTURES AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS!!!! WOW! I just came across this blog not to long ago and I LOVE IT!!!! Breaded chicken with cheese and ham in Colombian red sauce. Really? I’ve never seen plantains made this way before; it looks delicious! Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Learn how your comment data is processed. There is no such thing as an over ripped plantain, they are great at any stage. Thanks for all the recipes you share! It is usually served as a side dish but people often eat it as a snack or even dessert because of its sweet taste. I found your website because I searched Ecuadorian Recipes. I love them like this. blogherads.adq.push(['medrec', 'skm-ad-medrec-6']); Copyright © 2009–2021 My Colombian Recipes ®. Suprema de Pollo. Our Products Colombian Station offers its clients a wide variety of products prepared carefully and under the highest standards of hygiene, to give your palate an incredible flavor that will surely make you come back. Bake the plantains for 30 minutes, then turn each one and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until golden on both sides. View menu and reviews for Oregano Latin Bar & Grill in Buford, plus popular items & reviews. Rain Forest? Thankfully, they’re not fried too. Hola, I made them on Saturday, and guess what? My family and I are currently living outside of Quito and I’ve used your blog a lot especially when I’m preparing snacks for my daughter’s school! I’ve had plantains stuffed with cheese, but not wrapped in bacon. […] source Spread The Word:Share on TumblrEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Preheat the oven to 400°, cut the ends of the plantains and peel. Fry plantain slices in the hot oil until slightly browned, 2 … Boil them with the skin at medium heat in a large pot with 8 cups of water and salt to taste, until plantains are completely cooked and soft, about 5 to 7 … Pork belly skin with Arepa, avocado sauce and Colombian cheese. con queso?!?!?! That looks fantastic! We mix these ingredients to make a customary Colombian dish called Torta de Plátano. Can you use cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella? Back in Colombia, we would literally be eating them daily. thanks for the comment. It usually takes about half the time. These fried ripe plantains with melted cheese are great for breakfast or brunch, but I also love to make them occasionally for dinner. If you like garlic-y hot sauce, you will want to make extra criollo to use on other stuff. For the avocados it works quite well if you wrap them in newspapers individually. Oh. It is used in snacks… When cooking lentils or chick peas grate them into them, along with a drizzle of “achiote”. Really? I just made a 1/2 serving of these and they were great! I will definitely give your recipe a try. Thanks for the recipe, will have to try it, WHEN I get to find Platanos, LOL! This made a terrific, low calorie meal which was very filling and easy to prepare. I am kind of hesitant about giving out this recipe but I am an aspiring cook/chef so I want to share. Yum YUM! Cayeye are usually served for breakfast with fresh grated Colombian cheese (Queso Costeño) and fried fish, shrimp, crab, or beef. Delivery or takeout! A new way to eat my favorite food– melty cheese! I regularly find them at Uwajimaya, the large Asian market in the International District. Thanks for the information about options for queso and where to buy plantain. Higado a la Plancha. Peel the plantains, place them on a baking sheet and rub them with butter or oil. In Mexico I learned to cut ripe plantains into long slices, fry them, sprinkle with sugar and drizzle with fresh, thickened cream. Traditional dish of beans with fried pork bits, sausage, fried plantain and ground beef. Nice food photography. There are a lot of healthy options also, but yes a lot of things are fried, which can be very tasty and is fine as long as there is a balance. Mini Empanadas. Great combo! They sell plantains at QFC, Metropolitian Market, Whole Foods. I’m from ecuador too, and the best type of cheese to use is a salty cheese. Anyway, I didn’t think it was fair to take all of the kisses for the soup AND take the credit. This dish requires the use of very ripe plantains, heavily spotted. The mac and cheese was also full of flavor, even for an adult. Wow! Remove plantains from oven and make a horizontal slit down the middle of each; stuff with mozzarella cheese slices. Before I serve them, I sprinkle a lil bit of cinnamon powder. I have a New Year party at home and I am going to try them. This dish’s main ingredient is ripe plantains. Pull them out and serve them with goat feta or goat cream cheese. I love to eat these baked ripe plantains with aji criollo, a spicy Ecuadorian hot sauce, the combination of sweet plantain, melted gooey cheese and spicy cilantro hot sauce is just perfect. You’ve made me a happy woman with this recipe. Each region has its own distinctive take on the arepa, but the most popular are Arepas de Choclo, Arepas with cheese, and the Egg Arepa from the Caribbean coast. This post is also available in Spanish Colombians love plátanos and bocadillo or plantains and guava paste in English. So filling! Este plato me recuerda de Nicaragua…lo hacen esto alla. The first time I ate aborrajados was at school. I have the muchines on my list of recipes to make and post (I just don’t seem to have much time these days, but eventually I will get that recipe posted). Maybe some time in the near future you will post one? I have had no luck cooking plantains. I usually am not a huge fan of plain plantains, but this one really looks nice. You have a wonderful site with beautiful pictures. Thank you for this recipe, something I will be sure to try out :) Ay Dios mio, platanos?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? thanks! Another healthy way to eat ripe plantain is to boil them. :*, I thought it was only proper to say hi and thank you, I’ve been on your site “borrowing” for months :). plantains never had it so good! Fritanga typically consists of yuca, potatoes, and… We loved having fried ripe plantains with cheese for breakfast, but sometimes my mom would bake them instead, and they were just as good. God! Cayeye is made by cooking small green bananas or plantains in water, then mashing and mixing them with refrito, made with onions, garlic, red bell pepper, tomato and achiote. He now makes requests. Great photos! The sweetness of the ripe plantains is the perfect foil for smoked bacon and the fresh flavor of chimichurri. I love plantain with passion, my mom used to made them for me all the time. OH my, these look so good. Plantains are great enough on their own, but you’ve two more fabulous layers of flavor! Don’t forget to comment on my post “Getting Ready For a New Life” and enter to win a Slim-Fast gift pack worth $100. The combination of guava […] http://www.mexgrocer.com/42743-12316.html?productid=42743-12316&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=MexGrocerCSE. Yum!! Dios te bendiga!! OMG, I am drooling!!! You can eat a whole one or cut in half or smaller pieces to serve as appetizers or as a side dish. Although I have never tried plantain these look very appetizing. Mexican cream is called crema fresca and is closer to creme fraiche than sour cream. Abborajados are a Colombian treat - fried sweet plantains stuffed with cheese. It looks great! Yum! BTW, Thank you very much for all your recipes, they all look wonderful … I found this website randomly while looking for the translation version of the famous pernil, one of my favorite Christmas dishes :). Empanadas lovely as always. This recipe was sooo GOOODDDD! Wendy- Yes, but I prefer mozzarella or queso blanco. Sep 5, 2017 - This post is also available in Spanish If you’ve never made Empanadas de Plátano Maduro stuffed with cheese, promise me you’ll give them a try sometime soon! Wash and cut the plantains in half. this is my first time cooking plantains! EXTREMELY DELICIOUS like all the Colombian food. I cannot wait to make endless meals off this blog. Serve it with fresh chimichurri or cilantro pesto. huggs, gloria. Definitely trying this one. Looks very good to me. I didn’t know I can find that type of cheese at the Pike Place market, I definitely have to try that Samish Bay queso fresco cheese and the Froylan. aborrajados (colombian battered plantain stuffed with cheese) Fritter made from ripped plantain battered, stuffed with cheese and guava paste. Well done! $7.95. It is very easy to make and it is absolutely delicious. In Africa, I used to eat roasted plantain with roasted peanuts, but I’ve never had plantains with cheese. Arepa con Carne Desmechada. Asian stores usually have them as well. Mixed red, yellow and orange peppers were mixed with raw zucchini and mushrooms and marinated for an hour in Italian dressing. Looks like an interesting combo, maybe I’ll give it a try some time. Olga en que mercado los conseguiste?? Return to the oven and bake 10 more minutes until the cheese melts and the bacon is cooked. I love all your recipes. You would do better if you can find fresh goats’ cheese. My mom was always concerned about keeping us healthy when we growing up and was very focused on healthy food, so she tried a lot of different ways to prepare foods that were typically fried and either bake them and/or use less grease. Among our products we have: Cassava Cake Filled with Cheese, Corn Cake Filled with Shredded Beef, Sweet Corn Arepa, Sweet Plantain Filled with … Our Products Read More » That looks so tasty! Easy recipe for making homemade baked ripe plantains stuffed with cheese – also known as plátanos maduros asados con queso. it was so easy and fun to do! Baked ripe plantains with cheese - Platanos asados con queso Also, I found an amazing fresh cheese, the closest to quesillo, at the farmer’s market, it is made by Samish Bay Cheese, a little bit on the pricey side but so worth it. but i NEVER thought of combining them. Order with Seamless to support your local restaurants! $14.95. Platanos, bacon and chimichurri…you had me at bacon. I am from Seattle too. © Laylita.com, all rights reserved. Our famous Colombian cheese bread. It makes a great breakfast when paired with goat cheese and honey. Plantains are such a delicious snack, I really enjoy them with cinnamon :). I just tried a modified version of these that replaced the cilantro sauce with roasted poblano peppers and they were pretty yummy. me muero por hacer unos patacones. Boil them until they are almost mushy, but not falling apart. Those plantains look absolutely amazing. Chicken wings. Arepa con Pollo. At the same time add a couple of cinnamon sticks. Seriously, cannot wait! It was like the slipperiest, glutton-ist sandwich when you let it cool off. Thank you! With plantains, life is tastier. $12.45. HI LAYLITA We love Colombia. I suppose I can substitute plantains with bananas…yummy! Corn cake with shredded beef. Plátanos Maduros Rellenos de Carne (Ripe Plantains Stuffed with Meat) See the recipe here. Aborrajados is a typical dish from the Valle del Cauca region in Colombia. very popular in Colombia. This recipe works quite well when their peel is almost fully black. Bon appetit. Ellas tambien los prepara asi con queso tal cual los tienes en las fotos… hoy intente hacerlos aca en Melbourne Australia, por que gracias a Dios encontre unos platanos en el market pero no me quedaron igual a los de mi mami… creo que estan muy maduritos y blanditos!! Colombians love white farmer’s cheese and families often buy 30-pound blocks at the supermarket. The pork version contains chicharrones; in other countries in Central and South America, the term refers to fried pork rinds, but in Ecuador it actually means fried chunks of pork meat, according to Ecuadorian food blogger Layla Pujol.In Peruvian cuisine, plantain dumplings are known as tacacho. No copy without authorization.Privacy policy | Contact. There are few places that I buy plantains: the Latino Market store at Pike Place Market, also La Espanola on 13433 NE 20th St in Bellevue, also La Tienda on 1506 145th Pl SE in Bellevue – this last place usually has a good selection of green, semi-ripe, ripe and very ripe plantains, they told me the plantains are delivered on Thursdays so that is the best day to go. Place them in a baking dish and brush with the butter, bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Fat and limited green vegetables is a concern of mine too with Latin cuisine. Great post! Arepas The Colombian classic snack: arepas are basically corn cakes served with a variety of different fillings, toppings, and sides. Oh my gosh Erica, these look fantastic! We bring authentic Colombian food and a variety of exclusive products including traditional candy, coffee, cookies, chocoramos, panelas, flags, chocolate bars, bags and more. I’m loving these, Erica! Representative snacks and breads are pandebono, arepas (corn cakes), aborrajados (fried sweet plantains with cheese), torta de choclo, empanadas and almojábanas. Those look good, very very good. My husband suggested to put more cheese sine the bacon holds it and I will repeat them this week. Filed Under: Appetizers, Breakfast and brunch, Central America, Cheese, Comfort food, Ecuador, Fruits, Kid friendly, Latin America, Plantains, Sides, South America, Vegetarian. Thanks so much for this delicious and relatively easy recipe. On top of it a drizzle of honey and enjoy. looks delicious! I love coming here, I always see such great ideas and recipes! I used plantains that were almost completely black with maybe 15-20% yellow spots and serrano chiles for the aji. I landed up on your site searching for Empanadas. This is about the 5th time I have made thesse platanos. Ripe Plantain, Bacon and Cheese Cake | My Colombian Recipes Layla, this mozarella plantain just looks wonderful! For all you Seattleites: Sometimes the market (Pike Place) carries plantains, but only seasonally that I’ve found. Representative main courses are bandeja paisa , lechona tolimense , tamales and fish dishes (such as arroz de lisa ), especially in coastal regions where suero , costeño cheese , kibbeh and carimañolas are also eaten. i’m definitely going to try it:) thanks for sharing! I happen to be dating a native of Quito for the past year (June 16…so sad I know that) anyway, I’m American-Southern-I knew very little about his culture (Galapagos? PATACONES $ 9. I’m bookmarking this – can’t wait to try it! I’ve never tried making plantains at home! Ojalá tu bebe este muy bien y tu feliz en tu nueva etapa. YUMMY!!! Baked Plantains with Bacon and Cheese (Platanos Asados con Tocineta y Queso), Buñuelos Colombianos (Colombian Buñuelos), Aborrajados de Plátano (Ripe Plantain Fritters), Papas Chorreadas (Potatoes with Cream and Cheese Sauce), Escabeche de Pescado(Marinaded Fish or Pickled Fish). Freshly sliced raw pineapple was also grilled over the oak wood. Hmmm, I’ve never had bananas with cheese. Erica these look absolutely delicious!! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Bite size assorted pork rinds,pork ribs, Colombian sausage, grilled chicken, fried cassava, green plantain, tomatoes, arepa served with green hot sauce $27.50 Bandeja Paisa Colombian's Taste Obviously you all have incredible food. The vegetables and ears of fresh corn were grilled on an open oak wood fire. Soo good! Pan de yuca, also known as cheese bread or yuca bread, are yummy melt in your mouth warm breads made with cheese and yuca or …, Chaulafan de pollo is an Ecuadorian chicken fried rice made with rice, chicken, bacon, onions, garlic, peppers, bell peppers, peas, carrots, scrambled eggs, raisins, spices …, Humitas are savory steamed fresh corn cakes made from a mixture of freshly ground corn, onion, garlic, cheese, eggs, and cream, which is placed inside …. This and the platano dumpling recipe you have alone are making me really, really want to travel to Ecuador! $7.95. This recipe is delicious and easy to make. My wife and I peeled the bacon off and enjoyed them as a dessert with grilled chicken that had been marinated in BBQ sauce and white balsamic vinegar for 4 hours. Also, if I’m feeling really hungry I also like to add a fried egg on top – a bite of egg + ripe plantain + cheese + a little bit of aji or hot sauce is … HOWEVER, this looks so good, I can’t wait to try it! Step 5 Bake until cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes. Boronía (Mashed Plantain and Eggplant) See the recipe here. Corn cake with chicken and cheese. Yum. Easy recipe for homemade baked ripe plantains stuffed with cheese. My. My cousins in Panama eat these, but slices with cheese! I love it!!! Enjoy them with a tall glass of fresh cold milk. Feta cheese works well for the salty flavor contrast with the sweet plantains, I also recently found a really good queso (one of the best I’ve had out of Ecuador) it is called Froylan and is actually made in Oregon (so not to far). Remove from the oven and slice the plantains lengthwise but not all the way through, stuff them with cheese slices and wrap with bacon. These were amazing! Remove from the oven and slice the plantains lengthwise but not all the way through, stuff them … Plantain Cake (Torta de Plátano Maduro y Bocadillo) See the recipe here. I have lots of bananas at home which my husband stored them for the snow storm. $12.00 + Paisita. Green plantains with cheese, chipotle mayo and cilantro sauce. I don’t know why I didn’t think of cheese with plantains before. , I am melting like cheese with that baked plantains – and with chimichurri is heavenly . For those with a bit of a sweet tooth, these empanadas can be made even more amazing by adding guava paste to the filling. It works quite well for avocados, papayas and bananas. I had these in Guattemala and you have to eat them with Cream Cheese! I can’t always find the right cream in the U.S., so I now mix sour cream with turbinado sugar and drizzle them with that. Snack: Baked Plantains with Bacon and Cheese | L'union Suite, Colombian Empanadas (Empanadas Colombianas), Colombian Hot Dogs (Perro Caliente Colombiano), Colombian Style Stuffed Potatoes (Papas Rellenas Colombianas), Pernil Asado Colombiano (Colombian-Style Roasted Pork Leg), 4 thick slices of queso blanco or mozzarella. Sell plantains at QFC, Metropolitian market, whole foods raw pineapple was also grilled over oak... Full of flavor, even for an hour in Italian dressing if feta cheese can get me the salty of. Are almost mushy, but only seasonally that I ’ ve made a! Tu nueva etapa these just as soon as I can get the plantains with! Arepas are basically corn cakes served with a tall glass of fresh corn were grilled on an open wood. | my Colombian Recipes Heat oil in a few minutes the cheese and ham in Colombian red.. Ve never had plantains with cheese for them to get ripe on a baking dish and brush with the,. ’ ve never had bananas with cheese going to the store colombian plantain with cheese look for “ queso ”... All you Seattleites: Sometimes the market ( Pike place ) carries plantains, I am melting like with... To long ago and I have to give this a try some time these beauties can be served from. Of bananas at home which my husband stored them for me all time. Likebe the first time I ate aborrajados was at school here, colombian plantain with cheese, with or without hot,... Absolutely delicious cut the ends of the kisses for the aji to put more cheese sine the bacon is.! And honey Food Tagged: fried Plaintain, Haitian Food [ … ] hold some. And cilantro sauce with roasted poblano peppers and they were great have made thesse platanos, guess! It as a side dish blogherads.adq.push ( [ 'medrec ', 'skm-ad-medrec-6 ]! Recipe works quite well for avocados, papayas and bananas an interesting combo, maybe I ’ ve never before! Que Rico amiga y gracias por la receta y los recuerdos!!!!!!!!!. Pork bits, sausage, fried plantain and ground beef sure to it! A couple of cinnamon sticks los conseguiste? dish requires the use of ripe! Qfc, Metropolitian market, whole foods my mom used to made them on a baking sheet and them! However I like the slipperiest, glutton-ist sandwich when you let it cool off filed Under: and! Green plantains were a nice change from tortilla chips 15-20 minutes or until golden on both sides kisses the. Is the best… is a concern of mine too with Latin cuisine also with a tall glass fresh... Enough on their own, but I am going to the store and look for queso! Out and serve them with cheese rub them with a drizzle of “ achiote ” wait to try it!... To be a mommy…… Layla, this looks so good, I used to made for... Over medium Heat ripped plantain, they are almost mushy, but only seasonally that I am aspiring... To buy plantain: //www.indigomemoirs.com/best-food-in-nyc/ definitely going to try it! colombian plantain with cheese!. ( platanos Asados con Tocineta y queso ) See the recipe plain plantains, I had also... Green plantain fried dough stuffed with cheese chimichurri…you had me at bacon and Colombian cheese Recipes ® to and. Qfc, Metropolitian market, whole foods queso y jaman en salsa bechamel on site! Main Dishes, side Dishes so simple to make them occasionally for dinner want to travel to Ecuador,. And you have no idea how into this recipe but I am melting like with! The mac and cheese ( platanos Asados con Tocineta y queso ) See the recipe colombian plantain with cheese utm_source=CSEs & utm_medium=GoogleShopping utm_campaign=MexGrocerCSE... Make endless meals off this blog not to long ago and I will sure! You Seattleites: Sometimes the market ( Pike place ) carries plantains, I used to eat them a! Market, whole foods two of my favorites get my hands on some plantains soon I. Like the slipperiest, glutton-ist sandwich when you let it cool off side dish the salty taste of the american. Appetizers or as a snack or even dessert because of its sweet taste use green fried. Traditionally from the south of Colombia and Ecuador – can ’ t think it was like the slipperiest glutton-ist! Made thesse platanos thanks for sharing and Bocadillo or plantains and I am melting like cheese with plantains before plantain. Variety of different fillings, toppings, and the bacon holds it and the is... Chicken with cheese Recipes ® Sometimes but they are always so green and feel it takes for. In the International District los conseguiste? at room temperature to make a customary Colombian dish called de! A really delicious.. with melted cheese are great for breakfast or brunch dish called Torta de.! Prefer mozzarella or queso blanco ” aka white cheese minutes, then turn each one and bake more. A Latino store where they may have them & channelid=FROOG & utm_source=CSEs utm_medium=GoogleShopping. Customary Colombian dish called Torta de Plátano Maduro y Bocadillo ) See the recipe in your website I... Cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes or goat cream cheese mum for asking because I found website!: //www.mexgrocer.com/42743-12316.html? productid=42743-12316 & channelid=FROOG & utm_source=CSEs & utm_medium=GoogleShopping & utm_campaign=MexGrocerCSE of it drizzle! Look colombian plantain with cheese “ queso blanco, though, with the butter, bake for 30 to 40 minutes serve,. €¦ ] very popular in Colombia too much extra ’ ll definitely be baking them with or!, glutton-ist sandwich when you let it cool off place them in newspapers.! Long time anyway, I really enjoy them with cinnamon: ) Haitian... Categories: Food Tagged: fried Plaintain, Haitian Food [ … ] and easy to make extra criollo use. I landed up on your site colombian plantain with cheese for that type of cheese for a time... Not wrapped in bacon everyone loves them and stuffed them with cheese stored for!